A classical ballet has certain rules that must be followed but a contemporary ballet has none. In a contemporary ballet there might not be music, costumes, scenery, story or footwear. A classical ballet has five specific ingredients that must be included.
1. It must tell a story – often a fairytale involving a boy/girl plot with a problem to be resolved by the end.
2. It must have costumes and scenery.
3. It must have music and the music must go with the story.
4. It must have a “folk” or “character” dance.
5. The female dancers must wear pointe shoes and tutus.