by Liang | May 24 – June 2, 2019 | Davidson Theatre
Performance Total Run Time: Approx. 2 Hours
by Liang is a mixed-rep ballet. Mixed-rep ballets are several unrelated short ballets with intermissions, similar to a collection of short stories.
About what you’ll see
1st Ballet: Symphonic Dances
- Edwaard was inspired by the lushness and intensity of the music of Sergei Rachmaninoff
- Symphonic Dances is also the name of the music, this was the last piece Rachmaninoff wrote before he passed.
- Choreographed originally in 2012 for San Francisco Ballet this is the most classical piece on the evening.
2nd Ballet: Wunderland
- Edwaard drew inspiration for this piece from looking into a snow globe when he was working in Russia.
- Set to the moving music of Kennedy Center Honors winner, Philip Glass
- Past attendee review: “Wunderland…it took my breath away, gave me goosebumps, and I even teared up because of the pure beauty.” – C. Sweeney
3rd Ballet: Beautiful Child
- Edwaard was inspired by youth and energy and the possibility of life after a dream he had that made him decide to completely rework this ballet.
- A more contemporary ballet, choreographed to Rufus Wainwright
- Edwaard describes this as a quirky, fun and unusual ballet.
Rehearsal Videos and Photos
New to Ballet?
Check out our newcomers guide
Don’t Miss Our 2019/20 Season Shows