A classical ballet has certain rules that must be followed but a contemporary ballet has none. In a contemporary ballet there might not be music, costumes, scenery, story or footwear. A classical ballet has five specific ingredients that must be included.
- It must tell a story – often a fairytale involving a boy/girl plot with a problem to be resolved by the end.
- It must have costumes and scenery.
- It must have music and the music must go with the story.
- It must have a “folk” or “character” dance.
- The female dancers must wear pointe shoes and tutus.