BalletMet is an innovator of dance, embraced by our community and beyond. We serve Central Ohio as a cultural and educational resource by engaging the best and brightest dancers and choreographers to live and work in Columbus, attracting audiences to Central Ohio, and educating the next generation of dancers, audiences and supporters. Led by Artistic Director Edwaard Liang and Executive Director Sue Porter, BalletMet entertains, inspires and educates 100,000 Central Ohioans each year – in the theatre, the dance studio and the school classroom.
- BalletMet ranks among the nation’s 20 largest professional ballet companies.
- The ensemble Company of 26 dancers, all Central Ohio residents, is noted for powerful artistry and versatile technique.
- An engaging repertoire ranges from the pure classicism of ballet to contemporary masterworks.
- Major commitment to the creation of new work is reflected in 166 World Premieres and hundreds of Company Premieres in BalletMet’s 38-year history.
- National and international touring as a cultural ambassador for Ohio includes performances in 28 states including NYC’s prestigious Joyce Theater, and abroad in Canada, Russia, Poland, Spain and Egypt.
- Our Columbus, Ohio campus houses the 35,000 sq. ft. Dance Centre with seven studios, costume shop, and offices, along with a 20,000 sq. ft. fully equipped black box theatre and scene shop.
- Columbus performance venues include the 2,779-seat historic Ohio Theatre and the 750-seat Capitol Theatre located in the city core, and the 225-seat BalletMet Performance Space on our campus.
- The BalletMet Dance Academy is among the largest U.S. dance training centers affiliated with a professional company.
- With the Dance Centre as its hub, BalletMet’s Academy is the exclusive dance provider at the McConnell Arts Center in suburban Worthington and teaches accredited classes for Columbus State Community College and the Reynoldsburg High School Encore Academy.
- Enrollment of 1,700 students, hailing from 79 zip codes, ranges from preschoolers to senior adults in 300+ weekly classes during the school year and for special summer programs.
- Classes include ballet, pointe, character, creative movement, jazz, modern, tap, yoga and Pilates.
- The Trainee program prepares exceptionally talented students, chosen by audition, for careers in dance.
- The BalletMet 2 performance ensemble serves as a pre-professional path to a dance career.
- Our annual five-week Summer Intensive program averages 200 national and international students accepted through a 20 city audition tour.
- Performance opportunities include year-end Dance Academy Performances at the Capitol Theatre for students ages 8 and above, showings at the Dance Centre for younger children, Performance Ensembles community appearances, and The Nutcracker and other large cast BalletMet productions by audition.
Education and Community Engagement
- School and community programs serve 30,000 in classrooms as well as in business and civic settings.
- Dance Academy full and partial scholarships, along with financial aid packages, are awarded each year based on financial need, talent, or a combination.
- Morning at the Ballet performances are held at the Ohio and Capitol Theatres for K-12 students.
- Dance-in-Schools residency programs aligned with Ohio Department of Education standards include The Wiggle Jig for Pre-K, Moving Into Literary for grades 1-5, and Urban Dance & Wellness for high schoolers.
- KidTix provides 3,000+ complimentary tickets each year, partially funded with corporate underwriting, through youth, social service and faith-based agencies.
Financial Status and Economic Impact
- 38-year history of financial responsibility, with $6.3 million FY17 operating budget
- $8.3 million community economic impact
- $3.4 million annual payroll for 58 full-time and 70 part-time staff members, including 26 professional dancers that hail from around the world and are now full-time Central Ohio residents
- 65% earned income from ticket sales, touring fees and Dance Academy tuition
- 35% contributed income from individuals, corporations, foundations, government agencies and special events