BalletMet’s Commitment to Anti-Racism and Equity
We believe that art can inspire change. Our hope is that BalletMet will serve as a vehicle, a comfort and a celebration of our community and all humanity. As with many arts and cultural organizations around the country, BalletMet stands in solidarity with those taking action against systemic racism.
BalletMet stands with the Black Community, People of Color, and other Marginalized Groups. As an organization and an art form, we recognize that there is much work to be done to not only understand where we have missed the mark but also to continue to learn and grow to forge a brighter path ahead, together. We are thoroughly examining our practices to best position ourselves to make direct and enduring progress combating racial inequality within our organization and community. We have designated a Senior Level position on our staff to prioritize and uphold ongoing institutional change. Further, we are working towards developing a comprehensive initiative addressing anti-racism and equity.
We have collectively identified the purpose of our initiative, who it impacts, and why it matters. These are inclusive of but not limited to:
- Represent our community through the art form of dance to elevate the human experience.
- Establish a Coalition consisting of community leaders, company dancers, staff, and organizational leadership to review and advise BalletMet on its initiatives addressing Anti-Racism and Equity.
- Evaluate all aspects of our organizational structure including governance, policies, programming, marketing, and communications, education, and staff training to identify knowing or unknowing behaviors and biases that contribute to systemic racism practices.
- Develop, support, and implement ongoing Anti-Racism and Equity training and dialogue for the organization and its people.
- Continual organizational review of artistic programming, company collaborations, and educational programming, to ensure alignment with the Anti-Racism and Equity initiative.